Thursday, April 8, 2010

March 16

Last week there was a group of Americans (the kids always referred to them as gringos). They were a college group from somewhere near Chicago. They came to build a small room at the Infa for Mirna and her son to sleep. They also came to give VBS for the kids at the Infa. The week before I was extremely excited about them coming, all the memories of what it was like with groups flooded back. Don’t get me wrong, it’s really touching that people will come to help and I’m especially happy when I get to see my kids like this, but the downside is somehow whenever groups come, the kids seem to be taking energy pills by the handful. Tarynn and I felt like all we did was punish the kids. I was tired and it didn’t help that the sun felt like dropping a 105 degree bomb on us. Last Thursday night the group invited us to have ice cream with them and we sat in a restaurant and they just asked us questions. I, of course, being the nervous wreck that I am, let Tarynn do most of the talking. They asked us questions about the kids, why we were there, how we felt, how normal days went, etc.. Although we have a lot more work on our hands when groups come, it really is a great thing that they’re doing. I know I’ve been on short term mission trips before wondering if it makes a difference to these kids if I come or stay, but now I can see that it does. These kids get so excited about people coming and I think all kids deserve to have fun like that every so and so. Plus, it makes them feel loved and they definitely need that. The kids are still singing this one song that the group taught them. Actually we all sing it… all the time. I’m not sure if I want to thank them or not. It’s called Oh Mango Tree and every time I seem to get it out of my head, someone decides to sing it again. It never ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment