Thursday, October 15, 2009

October 14

Today, I changed my first diaper. Not to gross you out or anything, but the baby had diarrhea. And they don’t have baby wipes. Okay, first of all, there’s one baby that lives at the Infa and today there was another girl that came with her sisters… and she’s still in her “diapers.” I say “diapers” because she came without a diaper. She came in two pieces of ripped up shorts tied together that served as a diaper. Tarynn was coloring with some of the kids and she suddenly smelled the smell of trouble. She turned to the kids and she said, “necesitas pupu?” (do you need to poop?). And the sisters answered yes for her. Tarynn and I took her into the bathroom. We took toilet paper to wipe and shampoo to clean her up. She did all the dirty work and I went to the “laundry room” to wash her dirty poopie shorts and pants. Tarynn went to buy diapers because they had none (By the way, any money you send me would be greatly appreciated for buying things like this for the kids). Then after all that was over, the baby that lives at the Infa started to cry. Tarynn was busy because her pant leg just ripped and so I went over by myself to find out what was going on. The little boy also smelled of trouble. I took him and washed him and put on a new diaper and he cried the whole way through. Then I went and washed all of his clothes and hung them up to dry. Diaper changing is not a very fun job… I give my parents props for their hard work… and I’m glad they didn’t have to use rags for diapers. EW.

Also, Mirian left today. She was anther lady in charge and Isa was very sad that she left because she’s been working with her for 5 years. She’s going to Bolivia, but she doesn’t know if she’s going to come back because her husband works for ADRA and they may be moving because his job may be relocated or something. We had all of the kids write her cards and I was really sad to see her go. There’s a guy that’s in charge of the Infa now. His name is Nelson the other Nelson. Yes, it’s a little confusing. He seems nice though and he’s doing the boys’ showers now… which is WONDERFUL. It’s an automatic plus. I hope it turns out okay and I hope he has a lot of good ideas. He can’t speak English either, so we’re all doing the best we can to find out things to do with the kids.

Back at the Hogar, we’re still trying very hard to get the kids to do their chores every day. Tarynn and I have to deal with the teenagers and they get really grumpy when we ask them to do something because they say they’re too old for that. I get super frustrated with them sometimes and I struggle to keep my patience. Some of the kids are even angry at me and won’t talk to me because I told them to do their chores. I’m going to have several serious heart attacks when I have a teenager. I never knew the pain that parents around the world had to deal with. Haha, it’s okay though because sometimes they make me laugh. Tarynn and I were telling a girl named Flor to do her chores and she refused. She kept saying that her name was not Flor. She finally said that every time we say, “Flor, go dry the dishes,” she won’t listen. But if we say, “Daughter of Brad Pitt,” then she’ll do it. And so we asked her to wash the dishes as the “hija de Brad Pitt” and she went to do it. Haha, I had to laugh at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment