Sunday, May 2, 2010

April 29


In case you were wondering, classes are still continuing at the Infa. We have them every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. It’s still a struggle to get the kids to stay especially when the sun is squeezing ridiculous amounts of sweat from us and the kids have the choice between classes and bathing in the river. Sometimes I guilt them into staying, other times I plead with them, other times I play up the fact that they get a lollipop afterwards, and other times I tell them I’ll tell their parents if they don’t stay. I do what I have to.

Anyways, during class I work with a few of the kids who are especially behind in their reading. My main students are Alfredo and Yenson. Today I only had Alfredo and I have to say I was relieved to be able to focus on one kid for a day. We’ve been working on the vowels since classes have started and he’s improved tremendously. At first he didn’t understand what a letter was or what a word was. When I’d ask him to tell me a word, he’d say a letter (or a sound). When I explained to him, he said he understood. Then when I’d ask him again, he would say a letter again or even “uppercase” or “lowercase.” Now he’s doing better. I decided to just focus on the letter A until he got it. It’s taken a while, but he’s understanding that the different letters stand for different sounds and those make up words. Now he’s learned A, E, I, and O. Sometimes he gets confused, but I’m really excited that he’s at least moving forward. It’s also exciting because he’s excited too. He always asks for more homework and doesn’t complain or misbehave like he used to during class. When I get frustrated, I try to remember that at least we’re getting somewhere and he is learning something.

Patience. Patience. Patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment