Friday, November 13, 2009

nov 5

I had another problem with some kids at the Infa today. Lixi, as you may recall, is the child whose diapers I change. She does her business and I clean her and her clothes as usual. She likes to say “poo poo, pee pee” when I’m changing her. It’s rather cute (well it is to me because I’ve named her my child). This is nothing new. The new thing was that I had nowhere to hang her clothes because it was raining. So instead of putting it on the clothes line out back, I hung all of her clothes on a chair. The day goes on and I make the kids shower and such, but then the kids start pulling at me and telling me to go see something. I went out to look at what they were pointing at and it was all of Lixi’s clothes that had been scrubbed by my hands… and they were all in a trash can. The trash can was also placed directly under the corner of the roof so that all the water from the roof would go into the trash can. I was pretty angry. I asked who did it and thankfully, the kids didn’t really care about tattling and told me exactly who they were. It was Carlos’s brother Josue and Esau. First I scolded them and then I told them to get the clothes. After they picked up the clothes, I grabbed them by the arms and led them to the laundry hut. Kids were swarming around us laughing and calling others to watch because I was going to make them wash the clothes they put in the trash can. I made them scrub those clothes… and I made them scrub those clothes very hard. While they were scrubbing, I was talking to them and asking them why they did it and telling them why it was wrong. The whole time, they just laughed and were disrespectful. I already took away their dinner, but that’s not what I wanted to do… I wanted them to understand why it was wrong to take her clothes and put it in the trash can with dirty water. They didn’t understand and it killed me. I’m scared that they’re going to grow up not knowing how to treat people well. They’re always fighting and disobeying all of us.

I used to think I had a lot of patience, but the things I have to deal with when it comes to these kids makes me realize how much more patience I need. I constantly need to ask God to supply me with the patience needed to handle these situations because I would not be able to get through it all. I’ve also been trying to remember that every situation can be an opportunity to witness. These kids are looking at every move I make and they need to know that I’m disciplining in love and because I want them to learn how to be kind and good and all that business.

I think I’m also learning how to let things go easier. Some of these kids do some terrible things to us, but then the next day they love us and give us hugs. I envy their lack of grudges. Sometimes I get really angry at the kids because they lie to me or whatever else they do. I end up holding a grudge instead of letting it go. I know. They’re kids. Bear with me people. I’m learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment