Thursday, September 24, 2009

September 19

Happy Sabbath everyone!!

Today, Txus forgot about us. We were supposed to be the second group to go to church and we waited for a while until Amanda came and said we should probably start walking. The church is a little under a mile to get to and it wouldn’t have been too bad if we weren’t melting from the heat. We also had to walk though tall grass behind the Hogar to get to the road because the gate was locked. It scares me to think that tarantulas and snakes could have been very close to my feet without me knowing it. Anyways, I don’t want to dwell on tarantulas too long. After walking through the tall grass, we walked on the road. This road scares me half to death too. It’s like walking on a highway. Some of the drivers don’t care enough to slow down or move over just in case. When cars zip by, it’s like a gust of wind and sometimes I shiver thinking about how close they are to us. Tarynn and I walk this road everyday to get to the bus stop. I don’t know if I can ever get used to these fast cars so close to us. I felt sorry for the group of us that had to walk, but when I got there, I talked to one of the girls living at the Infa and she told me her story. She says that she walked all the way from the Infa. They left at 8 in the morning to get there. I instantly felt very foolish (I’m not one to use the word foolish very often, but I’ve been reading Pride and Prejudice and the word foolish seems very appropriate… haha, don’t make fun of me). This whole time I’ve been complaining to myself about how unfair it was that we had to walk, but this girl had to walk a lot further than we did. Tarynn and I take the bus to go to the Infa every day. We were so surprised when she said she had to walk that distance. I feel like I’ve taken a lot of things for granted and I’m realizing that here. There are so many things that these kids don’t have and at home I don’t think twice about having it. I’m definitely realizing that I need to be more thankful for everything because I am blessed with a lot more than I deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment