Sunday, December 13, 2009

November 22

All volunteers supervise tables at every meal. Tarynn sits with a bunch of hungry, growing boys and she needs to fight to get food. I, on the other hand, deal with other kind of fighting. I sit with the preteen girls. Well, they’re not all preteens, but they all act like they’re very much in charge of everything. There is always someone fighting with someone else. I can’t understand everything they say, but it sounds pretty vicious. There’s always a girl that doesn’t want to talk to me and there’s always a girl that says that they hate the food and they don’t want to eat it. One of the girls is older than me, but she acts like a child. Her name is Letty and she has two sides to her. One is when she’s angry or upset and doesn’t want to do something. She will fuss and pout for as long as she can. There are many times when she just sits with tears in her eyes and refuses to eat because someone said something like, “You said this and I’m going to tell on you.” One day, she got angry at one of the girls because she had a nicer chair than she did. She thought that she took it from her even when I was there before she got there and said that she hadn’t. Letty then took her chair and put it away against the wall and then started eating at the table standing up. When she realized that I wouldn’t pay attention to her if she was acting like that, she took her food and sat on the floor and ate… she was crying the whole time. The other side is a lot happier, I must say. She laughs for no reason and gives you hugs and talks a lot of nonsense. She’ll call you her friend and she’ll tell you things that have no relevance to your conversation. For instance, she came up to Tarynn and told her it was Friday. Then she informed Tarynn that Saturday comes after Friday. Then she proceeded to tell her what days come after that. She can get pretty funny sometimes. Today we were talking about friends. She said that she has exactly 6 friends and so I asked her to name all of them. She started off with me (very thoughtful) and then moved on to four more people. After she finished naming off the 5 people, I pointed out that she was missing one. She looked surprised and then she started picking people in the room to be her friend. After she named off a few names, making the friend list longer, I reminded her that she has a lot more friends by asking questions like, “how about so-and-so?” She was extremely happy that her group of friends grew significantly in the last 5 minutes. I don’t blame her, I would be happy too. (:

No comments:

Post a Comment